martes, 19 de marzo de 2019

VERB + OBJECT +INFINITIVE


The following verbs are followed by an infinitive construction in English while they are followed by a subordinate clause with subjunctive in Spanish.
ASK
EXPECT
TELL
NEED
WANT
ORDER
ENCOURAGE
PREFER
WOULD LIKE



Someone (noun/noun phrase/object pronoun)



TO DO something

Examples:
He asked his girlfriend to marry him on a desert beach under the stars. How romantic!
The teacher expects us to finish the writing task in less than forty minutes.
When I was a child my mother told me not to speak to strangers.
If you need me to help you, don’t hesitate to let me know.
My boss wants me to attend a business conference in Milan.
The headmaster ordered the pupils to stand in line because of the queen’s visit.
Our teacher is always encouraging us to use English in class even if we make mistakes.
I prefer you not to tell her about it. Please keep it a secret.
My girlfriend would like me to go on holiday with her family this summer.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario